Thursday, July 15, 2010

Swimming and Food Markets

Last Sunday we went a few DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) train stops south of Dublin City to Sandycove, a small coastal town.  Click here to see the location in googlemap satellite.  It was a mixed day of sunny and overcast, and the swimming area was packed with little kids and grannies swimming as if the water wasn't even cold.  I looked up the average water temperature for the Irish Sea, and found that it's usually somewhere around 50F.  It seems that the Irish manage to make do with the climate they're given!

After a short swim (we managed to stay in only about 10 minutes) we got dressed and walked to Dun Laoghaire (pronounced something like "done leery"), the town where I had an internship with an engineering company in 2004.  We were very hungry and happy to find a food market/fair with food stands, cheese makers, olive artisans, etc. in a local park.  We ate a Beef and Guinness pie and a goat's cheese and roasted pepper Rosti (we learned that a Rosti is like a big pancake made with grated potatoes).  For dessert we had hand-made chocolate truffles (goji berry/pink peppercorn and cardamom/orange).  The market is every Sunday year round, so any of our visitors should expect a similar Sunday outing of swimming and shopping at the Dun Laoghaire market.

1 comment:

  1. I loved hearing that you have already been back to Dun Laoghaire a place where I stayed for about 10 days when working with Special Olympics in Dublin.

    We took a side trip on the train to a small town called Ballykissangel and the Garden of Ireland. It was a fun day trip.

    I'm enjoying reading your Blog and seeing some of the places you are visiting. (also the pictures)

    Love to you both.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete